We are hiring
Mirror Alliance Church is searching for a candidate to fill the full-time position of Lead Pastor. The person filling this position must be ordained by the Christian and Missionary Alliance Church or licenced and on a path to ordination within two years of accepting the position. The position reports to and is accountable to the Mirror Alliance Church Elders’ Board.
The preferred candidate exhibits the following qualities:
Servant leadership (as modelled by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ)
- is Spirit filled and believes in the supremacy of the scriptures.
- has a heart for worship and lives a lifestyle of adoration for God.
- Is gifted in leading people into a deeper and more meaningful relationship with God.
- relates well to people of all ages from young children to senior citizens.
- has a heart for all people (age, gender, social class, cultural background) and is empathetic and compassionate.
- gives attention to encouraging and supporting the young families in the church.
- engages with the congregation and wider community through regular visitation.
- exhibits a personal commitment to outreach in MAC’s sphere of influence and helps the congregation in developing their skills and abilities to reach out to neighbours and colleagues in the communities where they live and serve.
Team player/builder mentality
- leads by example.
- equips the church family to develop their servant leadership skills and to use their gifts to serve.
- supports the growth of all people in the congregation toward spiritual maturity.
- helps develop and support programs for our children and youth.
- supports, mentors, and collaborates with all church volunteers.
- collaborates with the Elders Board (as an EB member) to set goals for the church and develop plans to accomplish those goals.
- recognizes the high value of quality and spiritual vitality in the Sunday sermons and commits to prayer and the study of the Word in their preparation.
- makes the Scriptures practical and understandable to all attendees regardless of their level of scriptural knowledge.
- challenges the congregation to apply the lessons from the sermon to their daily lives.
- is a motivated self-starter who possesses adequate personal time management skills to accomplish the requirements of the position.
- Possesses the necessary administrative skills to help keep the church organized.
The Lead Pastor position is the only full-time paid position in the church. The only other positions that receive compensation are the janitor and the bookkeeper. They report to the Elders Board and not the Pastor. All other positions are volunteer.
Mirror Alliance Church is a small country church located in the hamlet of Mirror, Alberta.
Mirror Alliance Church is a disciple-making church that is focused on the Word, Prayer, and Community.
To draw our community into life with Christ
To fully review our Church DNA.
Before Covid 19 our average attendance on Sunday morning was 70 or more. Our congregation consists of all age groups from young families with babies and preschoolers, through to senior citizens. Members of the congregation also come from a wide range of social classes. The ethnic diversity is low which is reflective of our surrounding communities.
Besides Mirror, members of our congregation come from the surrounding rural area and the nearby communities of Alix, Clive and Bashaw.
Our church activities included:
- Sunday morning church service
- Sunday school with classes for all ages from preschool to adults
- Children’s church for children up to Grade 4 during the church service
- Monthly potluck lunch
- Small group Bible studies
- Monthly Prayer meeting
- Mini Youth Group for children up to grade 6
- Support for two church camps
- Support for missions
The church has a nucleus of dedicated volunteer workers who support these activities.
Looking ahead the priorities of the church are:
- Re-establish our church congregation after Covid. Address the needs of our congregation.
- Strengthen our ability to disciple.
- Strengthen our outreach activities.
MIRROR COMMUNITY PROFILE
Mirror is a quiet, friendly community in the heart of Alberta, situated not more than a 2-hour drive from either Edmonton or Calgary. It is close to both Alix and Bashaw and an hour’s drive gets one to several larger communities with all the necessary amenities available—Camrose, Lacombe, Ponoka, Red Deer and Stettler–all of which have hospitals. Camrose, Lacombe, and Red Deer are all cities.
Currently the hamlet is home to just over 500 people. Mirror became a village in 1912 when it was established as the divisional point on what is now the CN Railway line between Edmonton and Calgary. There is still a lot of railroad activity in Mirror as crews often change and trains are made up here. There are about 11 railroad tracks in the yards in Mirror.
At one time the village population was over 1000 but that declined after the railroad switched from steam power to diesel power in the late 1950’s. About 20 years ago the residents of Mirror voted to switch from being incorporated as a village to hamlet status. As a hamlet we are governed by Lacombe county. The switch from village to hamlet status meant a significant reduction in property taxes. *** Our population has been increasing very slowly since that time.
Mirror is located on the west side of Highway 21 at the junction of Highway 50. The hamlet is less than a kilometre west of the shores of Buffalo Lake. There is good hunting and fishing in the area. Agriculture is the major industry in the region which includes both mixed farming and ranching with cattle, horses and other livestock being produced. Wheat, canola, barley, oats, peas, and hay are grown in abundance in the area.
Despite being a small community, Mirror boasts several businesses, and services in or near the hamlet. These include:
Ember Resources Gas Refinery
*Gracie D’s Antique Store
Kerry’s Mechanical and Tire Shop
Lamerton Place (Senior’s Housing)
**Living Truth Christian School (Private School—K-12)
Mae’s Kitchen (Café)
Mercedes Mutts (Dog Grooming)
Messenger Meats (Meat Processing)
Mirror Alliance Church
Mirror and Community Economic Development Association
Mirror Community Hall
Mirror Community Futures (Federal lending office for Parkland area)
Mirror Dog Park
Mirror Food Bank
Mirror General Store
Mirror Market (new and used)
Mirror Post Office
Mirror Recreation Society
Mirror Seventh Day Adventist Church
Mirror Skating Rink (outdoor) and playground
Mirror Thrift Store
Railroad Liquor Store
The Hair Shop
The Whistle Stop (restaurant and gas bar)
(There are also several home-based businesses in Mirror and the surrounding area)
*Gracie D’s is said to be one of the best Antique stores in Alberta
**Living Truth Christian School offers free tuition for pastors’ children
***Coupled with the low taxes, affordable housing and the friendly laid-back community atmosphere make Mirror a desirable place to live and raise a family! The hamlet is serviced with water and sewer by the county. There are currently several homes available for purchase in Mirror.
Resumes should be sent to email@example.com
A copy of the resume should also be sent Western Canadian District Office of the Alliance Church of Canada.
This posting will close on May 31, 2021.